State helpline 1247 and help and information service
Help and information service
In addition to emergencies, the help and information service of the Emergency Response Centre also provides answers (in Estonian, Russian and English) to questions regarding matters in which life, health or property is not in danger. Senior specialists of the help and information service answer the information line of the Rescue Service 1524 (started work on 1 January 2007), the environmental emergency hotline 1313 (started work in May 2009) and the road information line 1510 (started work in the fall of 2017). If necessary, questions will be forwarded to other institutions for solving and important information shall be forwarded to the population.
As of 2000, we have been further developing the help and information phone lines’ service in order to support cooperation of rescue authorities, local governments, road and environment authorities, in terms of solving dangerous situations. The help and information centre was established on 1 January 2010.
One of the main goals of the help and information phone lines is to decrease the burden on the 112 emergency phone number, i.e. provide assistance to people in matters that are not related to emergency help. Senior specialists of the help and information phone numbers mediate information and solve problems that are not time-critical. Additionally, safety information and instructions are provided in order to prevent accidents.
The Emergency Response Centre has the capability to use the help and information phone numbers as a crisis information line in the case of a major emergency of catastrophe, to forward recommendations and instructions to the population and share information.
According to the statutes, the tasks of the help and information centre are the following:
- receiving, analysing, storing and forwarding of notifications submitted via the help and information phone numbers of the Emergency Response Centre;
- forwarding time-critical information concerning calls made to the emergency phone number 112 and in relation to processing notifications received via other means set out in legislation, to authorities of the government and of the local government unit, legal persons and the population;
- forwarding non-time-critical information related to the field of activity of the Emergency Response Centre, to authorities of the government and of the local government unit, other legal persons and the population;
- cooperation with authorities of the government and of the local government unit in order to organise the work of the help and information phone lines of the Emergency Response Centre;
- Providing support to the Northern Centre, Eastern Centre, Western Centre and Southern Centre with regard to processing notifications.